View Single Post
Old December 14th, 2015, 05:39 AM   #28
tgold
ninjette.org sage

Name: Timm

Motorcycle(s): 2006 1050 Speed Triple, 2010 250 Ninja racebike, YZF320RR? Racebike

MOTM - Nov '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Disagree. Let me explain.

Easiest way I've seen for companies to do that is to require 2-5 years experience, not by asking about their tools. That rules out almost all recent graduates in one fell swoop, including co-op students. Unless a student had a recurring position on-again, off-again at the same company and/or worked the same job for a consult firm at the same time as taking courses, (which there are 1 or 2 of in my class) they won't have 2+ years.

If someone asked me that, it would scream of a cheap employer not wanting to supply their own tools to me. I don't think that's a perfectly reasonable weed-out question at all, that's a cheap/unreasonable employee job scope question. I'd have the same response as DC to those questions. I don't mean to sound entitled but I don't think that guy had a reasonable expectation of job scope vs. pay vs. education requirements. I'd walk out. At-will employment is a two way street.
You're assuming the interviewee isn't lying about their experience with the 2-5 yr thing. And you can treat much of the "required experience" items are as a wish list. If I applied to a position based simply on the required skills listed, I'd be be getting my 20 year pin from Wendy's.

It doesn't mean that a company is cheap if they ask you about a caliper. It is a question to see if you know tools. They are likely looking for a hands-on engineer and not a theoretical type engineer. I had a good friend in engineering school who was in the honors program. He was a very smart dude, (in fact he went into the Navy's nuclear program) yet I had to explain to him how a four-stroke engine worked. That really surprised me beause I thought every mechanical engineer was a gearhead.
tgold is offline   Reply With Quote