View Single Post
Old December 25th, 2015, 04:03 PM   #40
Yamahawk
Chaplain

Name: Charlie

Motorcycle(s): 75 RD350 race bike, 82 XZ550RJ Vision, 81 XV920RH, 89 VTR250 Interceptor race bike, 06 Concours, 86 EX250E1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattonme View Post
yes. You use EX250/300 springs in EX250/300 forks. The GSXR top-out springs and main springs are trash.

All 20mm cartridges have a tube of either 24mm or 25.4 and either way you have to gut the EX tube of the 'barrel' in the bottom. So all top-out functionality has to be internal to the cartridge. Andreani uses lengths of plastic rod and a fat O-ring, I use proper springs.

Correct on both counts. the USD cartridge can be used too. It's just that the 01-03 is easy(er) to get ahold of. Send me your forks and the donor cartridge you have and I do what's necessary.
Thanks, Matt! I have confidence that you know what you are talking about. I messaged you on eBay today, and appreciate your quick reply! I have my eye and an offer on a couple of 03 GSXR600 fork tubes, and if/when I get them, I have an extra set of EX250F (1996) low mile forks and they would be the ones to fit the cartridges into. They are 36mm, and I need to keep that size to be 'stock'. My 89 VTR250 Interceptor actually has 37mm CBR600F1 Hurricane forks in VF500 triples, to keep the stock mounting of the fuses and ignition switch. If you didn't notice the dual disks, you would think it was stock. I had Jamie Daugherty set up the forks with springs and his own emulators, and it handles pretty good with the CBR600F3 rear shock that he did for me also.
Now, I am in need of some decent suspension for the 86 EX250E model. I already have grafted on the EX250F forks, and 17" EX500 front and rear wheels, and will be adding an 06 GSXR600 rear shock also. I will email you as per your request, and perhaps we can get this done sometime before spring. I have a set of 06 GSXR600 forks, but the springs are really large diameter, and wouldn't work without the springs swapped for a smaller diameter. The valves were junk, also, as the forks were burnt in a fire. Anyway, nice to see you here!
Charlie