Thread: Turbo install
View Single Post
Old January 2nd, 2016, 03:42 AM   #167
swarfman64
Master modder

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): TURBO gpx250 99 CB250/500rs Sherco290 Trials Indian 1911big base (replica)

So not allot to report on the bike but some promising progress.
My fuel system is sorted, I have added a restriction to the pressure line to reduce the return line back pressure which has allowed me to have .5 psi idle fuel pressure. I have also supplied the regulator from the pitot pressure which gives me about 1.2:1 increase in fuel pressure. No bowl flooding or leaks and plenty of fuel. I have very slowly crept my RPM and load up on the dyno with my knock sensor hooked up and have found that the factory ignition system shows no signs of detonation at 9 PSI ((which is odd, as i had to retard the ignition with Efi because of major detonation)same AF ratio)). Makes me wonder how accurate that system was.
Alterations to the pitot (I'll detail later) has given me a reasonably flat level A/F through the range. I do have a major flat (lean) spot mid throttle, at this stage I think its the transition from the idle circuit to the main.
I have been able to get some full throttle pulls in after I nurse it through the lean spot.
One little issue I came across was fuel boiling in the pump and consequently loosing pressure as it vaporized. I insulated the pump and fixed it for now, I will move the pump to a better position later. This is only a problem after an hour on the dyno, the heat soak builds between running the bike and then making changes. The fuel in the tank itself gets quite warm too, something to be aware of if your not directly monitoring fuel pressure.
More as it happens.............