View Single Post
Old January 3rd, 2016, 05:53 AM   #53
Yamahawk
Chaplain

Name: Charlie

Motorcycle(s): 75 RD350 race bike, 82 XZ550RJ Vision, 81 XV920RH, 89 VTR250 Interceptor race bike, 06 Concours, 86 EX250E1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROADandTRACK View Post
They are talking about using those springs on that year GSXR shock.

But, I agree. If you can't measure the spring rate yourself I wouldn't use a spring from some OEM shock.

Also, just putting on the spring, even if you get a rate that works for you, the shock is too short and putting on dogbones to compensate is not a very good way to gain decent suspension. The leverage ratio wrong. It is just a band-aid and it won't handle anywhere near as good as it could. But, the philosophy here is just get'er done CHEAP.
There is a chart, I believe from InvisiBill, that shows all the spring rates from the different years and models of GSXR1000/750/600 shocks, and that is where I was referring to for my previous posts. I agree, that randomly selecting an unknown spring from a bike and making it fit is a bad idea. After careful research through RaceTech's spring calculator, and looking at the differences in shock diameter, I don't think swapping a 46mm shock body's spring (03 GSXR1000) onto a 40mm shock body (06 GSXR600) is a good idea for the EX250. The clearance in the swing arm area is already tight, and adding the larger diameter spring from a 46mm shock, would just add to that problem. So, I am going to order one that will be a proper fit and spring rate for the GSXR600 shock, and work with it. Also, with the cartridge conversion for the front forks, and the 17" wheels off the EX500 2nd gen, it should handle pretty well!