View Single Post
Old January 4th, 2016, 07:01 PM   #6
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurgan View Post
Just asking this here to avoid making a new topic pretty much about the same kind if thing....

When you get a new set of LED turn signals that are supposed to be "universal" (not made specifically for the 250) and the wires are extremely short, but the stock wires are really long, should I just splice the short LED wires into the long stock wires?

Or is there some kind of adapter that would be better than cutting up the stock wires? I kinda want to avoid cutting things up if I don't have to.

Would it be a good idea just to get a set of replacement wires (at least for the front signals anyways), and cut those up and keep the stock set handy?
The short answer is "do whatever you want". As long as there's a sufficient conductive path from the battery to the bulb, the details of the wires and connectors you choose to use don't really matter.

I'm kinda anal about stuff though, so I don't like to chop up factory parts that are in perfect condition. I buy matching OEM connectors to splice onto aftermarket accessories or buy used OEM parts on eBay to cut up instead. Even with all the mods on my bike, there are only two small things that can't go back to 100% stock by bolting on parts that are currently in my garage.

I'm not familiar with the specifics of the 250's turn signal wiring setup, but based on your description, I'd either find a donor set of OEM signals (possibly already broken) to scavenge or just get my own wire and OEM connectors to extend the new signals' leads (depending on which method was cheaper/easier). That would leave me with my original wiring and signals still able to be plugged back together if needed.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote