View Single Post
Old January 7th, 2016, 08:03 PM   #73
Yamahawk
Chaplain

Name: Charlie

Motorcycle(s): 75 RD350 race bike, 82 XZ550RJ Vision, 81 XV920RH, 89 VTR250 Interceptor race bike, 06 Concours, 86 EX250E1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattonme View Post
why all the fascination with this GSXR spring or that? Buy an Eibach at the correct ID and correct rate. They are like $60. Otherwise shouldn't there be a thread that documents all the relevant shock springs, their dimensions and rates, and suitable rider weight range so folks can reference? Or did I miss it?

I'll absolutely second/third/forth those say to send the GSXR/R6 shock off to get serviced, lengthened (?) and revalved. It's madness to use the wrong item to "save" a couple dollars. If you're going to do it, spend the 350 and do it right.

Some of these 'light' bikes need 5-10mm longer shocks for best chassis and weight balance. I don't know if the 250/300 fall into this category or not.

First, fix the obviously wrong stuff - fork springs and a thick enough oil to compensate probably around 35-40cSt@40. If the frontend now won't track and is skittish when hitting bumps, drill some relief holes in the damper rod.
@pattonme, Matt, I was looking at Eibach's website, and they don't actually make street bike shock spring replacements. They do make dirt bike shock springs, and fork springs... so, what Eibach spring would I get for the 06 GSXr600 rear shock? It is a 40mm shock body, and I believe it is 7"?? long? I would have to go out and measure it to be sure, but if you can tell me how to get one, in the correct spring rate, it would be appreciated. I am going to PM you about the cartridges, also.