View Single Post
Old September 28th, 2009, 07:32 AM   #1
Hedge36
SooperChikkin.

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): BMW R1200GS Adventure, '07 250 Ninja

Hard ticking at idle

Yep, I searched. I Googled. And while this is probably a common issue, I haven't found the right term to describe it, let alone search for it

The new-to-me-'07 started yesterday with 7600 miles on it, and ended the day with 8100. About 400 miles into that run, I noticed a bit of a ticking sound up front between the pipes at idle - off-idle, no tick. Of course, I checked the oil and coolant levels, which were fine, and chalked it up to my ears playing tricks on me... it'd been a long day, what with my 6'1" frame folded up on the little bike, and I was getting a little punchy.

Anyway, this morning I headed out for coffee sans earplugs, and the tick - for want of a better term - was pretty damn noticeable. Again, levels are good, off-idle is fine. I call it a "tick" because it's not a low-end sort of "knock" and definitely not a "ping". There's a dark part of my mind that wants to call it piston slap but I really, really don't want to go there since I haven't turned the bike over to the new owner.

So, I bow to the collective wisdom here to alert me to other possibilities that might be more relevant to the Li'l 250. Thanks for any pointers.
Hedge36 is offline   Reply With Quote