Thread: Racing tricks
View Single Post
Old January 25th, 2016, 12:32 PM   #91
tgold
ninjette.org sage

Name: Timm

Motorcycle(s): 2006 1050 Speed Triple, 2010 250 Ninja racebike, YZF320RR? Racebike

MOTM - Nov '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misti View Post
Agreed as well. I always suggest finding baseline suspension settings and setting up the bike to the riders weight as a start. But I just get tired of hearing newer riders talking about how they are adjusting this and adjusting that and buying new springs and trick parts etc when they don't even know how to ride. Set up the bike with good basic settings, invest in your own riding so that you are capable of riding well and reasonably fast and THEN tweak the suspension or you could end up riding around in circles.

I clearly remember one of my first AMA races riding around in practice and feeling like the bike wasn't doing what I wanted it do and feeling frustrated at everything. I came in and told Eric Dorn my crew chief that the bike was handling poorly and that he should make some changes and he looked me in the eye and said, "Go faster, then we'll talk suspension." Um, ok. So I did. Worked awesome :dance cool:

The whole point I'm trying to make here is that lots of people seem willing to drop $$ on parts and suspension and trying to make the BIKE fast but then they balk at the idea of spending $$ on a quality riding school.
Well, there is always that guy who puts top shelf suspension on his bike and then raves about how great it is. I remember my brother-in-law Brad telling me about a dude who was waxing poetic about his new Ohlins shock. So Brad thinks "I'm going to put a clock on this guy". It turned out that the guy was so slow he could've done the same lap times with a solid strut bolted in there.
tgold is offline   Reply With Quote