View Single Post
Old January 29th, 2016, 05:30 PM   #55
DanteCoal
ninjette.org member

Name: Dante

Motorcycle(s): 2016 Ninja 300 ABS, R.I.P 1986 Ninja EX250

Quote:
Originally Posted by toEleven View Post
Wait...only the left one? That's intriguing.
Yeah, the way I ride, my right rests fine over the break, but my left is just a hair too close to the shifter to comfortable rest my foot and still shift quickly. As I've been riding more on this bike it's become a little easier to deal with, but it's still something I'm looking forward to modifying. =P

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadd View Post
Unless you have personal preference for K&N over other filters, there's no need to use a K&N filter just for the sole purpose of it being easiest to take off. In all my vehicles, I just hand tight all my filters on. When it's time to remove, All it takes is a wrench (or oil filter strap). It's still on there tight....but not OEM tight.

I have no idea why they used a gorilla to install the filter in the factory! Just doesn't make sense.

While on this topic, can anyone explain how (or why) oil filters normally get tighter as time goes by? Once I hand tighten my new oil filter on, I can still (with a bit of a struggle) loosen it by hand. However, once I ride it around for a few hundred miles, there's absolutely no way to remove it by hand.
I've used K&N previously, and since it's a quality filter that I can get for $10 a pop, I'm more than happy to use them, and that nice little nut on top; a feature that I prefer just for ease of removal. I've got enough pain in the butt things on a bike, so it's one less thing to worry about. =P

As far as oil filters tightening themselves, my understanding of it is that the pressure of the filter creates a type of pressure seal/lock on the threads, almost like a vacuum, on top of the gasket expanding a bit with the heat (thus creating a better seal, and putting more pressure against the threads) which is why "hand tight" is almost always enough.
DanteCoal is offline   Reply With Quote