View Single Post
Old February 4th, 2016, 07:37 AM   #22
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by swarfman64 View Post
Sorry, cant let this slide by
Take no offence, but............

Holy ****!!!!!!!! don't purge with air and weld . If your going to weld a fuel tank you must use an inert gas and follow a procedure. MUST MUST MUST.
Brake cleaner, Hell no. Sorry but I'm a welder and NO welder who knows his stuff would purge with air, Ever. You see I'm trying to make it very clear so nobody winds up dead. 6 months ago a mate spent a week on hospital because he ground through a diesel tank, washed with steam only. It went bang, he went across the room, shrapnel happened and he was lucky to live
Even diesel can go boom.
Don't take my word for it, ask a welder or a welding forum.
We don't do tanks at work now because even with the correct procedures there is still risk and a $100 dollar weld job on a tank isn't worth risking not going home.
I'm not a welder, and haven't welded a tank - but I have seen it done as I stated. The welding that was done were mostly tack welds to hold a mounting bracket that had broken loose on a small engine gas tank. I understand that not having inert gas inside the tank will cause oxidation of the weld. For the type of welding that was being done it wasn't critical.

The Brake Cleaner was suggested for use if you had added water to the tank - not before welding. I know there is a dangerous chemical reaction that takes place when welding over it.

Your precautions are well deserved. Really best to leave welding of things like gas tanks to the experts.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote