View Single Post
Old February 15th, 2016, 06:37 AM   #19
tgold
ninjette.org sage

Name: Timm

Motorcycle(s): 2006 1050 Speed Triple, 2010 250 Ninja racebike, YZF320RR? Racebike

MOTM - Nov '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfd1 tuner View Post
When you have to pack all yo poop up and fly it around the world bet you light is good.

On topic of bearings round balls have lower friction but they dent the race a lot easier in a tumble causing notchy steering. My preference is the taper roller. I find it funny that some racers have a idea that stiff steering dampers are good but the races and bearings are a choice.
I am aware that shipping weight is a big deal for MotoGP teams and that is the real reason why they have Carbon fiber parts trays. Just making a little joke.

I agree with you about overly stiff steering dampers. I only dial them up enough for them to do their job. For the most part, steering dampers are not a performance item in my opinion. They are for safety and I cannot comprehend why people pay $400.00 plus for something that really has no performance value. That's why I try to use the old NHK dampers whenever possible. They are cheap, adjustable and well-proven. I usually find them for less than $30.00 on ebay. The fun part is getting them to fit because of their relatively short throw.
tgold is offline   Reply With Quote