Thread: Loud pipes
View Single Post
Old September 30th, 2009, 06:22 PM   #3
Greg_E
ninjette.org sage

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 90 Suzuki gsx600f Katana, 03 Buell XB9R

Why pass another law that will not be enforced? I bet your state already has a law that requires certain things to be in place, including sound levels. I think you should probably try for greater enforcement of the current laws.

It's funny... Everyone selling any of the Buells thinks I'm crazy when I offer them less money if they don't possess the stock muffler. No one seems to understand that I don't want something so loud that you can here me coming from 10 blocks away.

Check out what I have to deal with, still wondering why there are so many bikes with pipes that are stupid loud:
http://abateny.org/mclaws.html
Quote:
Muffler - Required; no straight pipes; no removal of baffles; no modification of exhaust system that increases noise beyond exhaust system originally installed. Ref: NYS Vehicle & Traffic Law, Article 9, Section 381

Maximum Sound Level - Maximum Allowable A-Weighted Sound Levels at Speed: 35 mph or less, 82 dB(A); over 35 mph, 86 dB(A), measured at, or adjusted to, a distance of fifty feet from the center of the lane in which the motorcycle is traveling. Ref: NYS Vehicle & Traffic Law, Article 10, Section 386.
I say spend the time on better enforcement unless the state has no laws similar to New York, and I bet they do have laws similar. I won't condemn and entire industry, all the loud pipes do say for off road use only. Legislation that requires an EPA stamp prevents companies like Area P from making the long quiet version of their exhaust.

Otherwise I agree that loud pipes suck!
Greg_E is offline   Reply With Quote