Old March 11th, 2016, 06:04 AM   #2
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Solo the vast majority of the time.

The way you worded your question points to the reason why. You get this spontaneous idea to go for a ride. If you have to arrange for a companion, it's no longer spontaneous. It becomes a planned, organized activity.

The occasional group or +1 ride is fun, but logistics usually make it a PITA. Always concerned with where others are, can't ride your own pace, etc. etc. It always feels more like herding cats than enjoying a nice ride to me.

But then, I keep my own company pretty well. For many, sharing the experience is as important as the ride itself.

Depends on your primary motivation, I suppose.

Do you ride to reach a destination?
Do you ride as a social activity?
Do you ride for the joy of riding itself?

Those who ride to get somewhere often ask about long trips and how many days it'll take, planning on riding 500 miles in a day, stuff like that. You'll see them on the Interstate, trying to make time.

Those who view it as a social thing do a lot of group rides and often spend much of the day parked at an ice cream stand/burger joint with a bunch of other riders. I don't count bike night posers in this group... they're more about showing off.

Those who ride for the ride are often seen alone, on the twistiest roads, generally don't keep a schedule and have no problem changing plans/routes/destinations on the fly..

I'm firmly in the latter camp.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.