View Single Post
Old March 22nd, 2016, 11:27 AM   #8
tgold
ninjette.org sage

Name: Timm

Motorcycle(s): 2006 1050 Speed Triple, 2010 250 Ninja racebike, YZF320RR? Racebike

MOTM - Nov '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailerboy531 View Post
As someone who gets his ass beat by Ari on a monthly basis and can vouch for him being a seriously cool dude I'll tell you that bike is modded but it's allllll Ari. Before he modded the motor (lighter crank, bored out to 300cc IIRC) he was doing 2:00.8ish. He's no slouch. The 8hp basically helps him not get raped on the straights.

As for Timm questioning the Superbike Shootout riders the ones in question are likely Zack Courts, who grew up with Ari and is just as fast, and Ari himself. Yes they are not going balls to the wall because it's unfortunate to return a heap of metal to the manufacturer, but again, they are no slouches.
Look, I love racing lightweight bikes and I'm not questioning Ari Henning's skills whatever they are, But one thing I've learned in racing is that the faster you go, the more the bike matters.
Yes Ari has some ability, but downplaying the modifications as if they matter little by saying it's "allllll Ari" is just BS. As if that power only counts when you're straight up and down. When you are talking a 30% increase in power, you are talking a hell of a lot of difference. If the mods didn't matter then have him go out on a stock bike and do it.

I've seen the "budget" magazine builds time and again and their "budget" is almost always unrealistic for the average racer. The fact that Motorcyclist isn't being specific with what they did is enough to make me question their journalistic integrity a little.

As for the testers and the superbike shootout. If they are not pushing the bikes they are testing so that they can find the weaknesses, then they should just go for a street ride and tell us how nice the seat is. I've raced with and beaten GSXR600's, Triumph 675's, etc, on a not particularly special SV650. What does that mean? Not much except that there were guys who weren't riding very capable bikes to their potential. So then Motorcyclist comparing the laptimes between the superbikes and the CBR becomes meaningless.

If you want a no BS racetrack and street riding review of a bike, I suggest getting a subscription to Roadracing World.

But it does show there is potential in the CBR300, they're just not to forthcoming in what it takes to get it there.
tgold is offline   Reply With Quote