View Single Post
Old March 23rd, 2016, 08:49 PM   #9
Somchai
Freedom for Germany

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R-FI

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
In that form -- i.e. what looks like an actual sportbike -- it isn't going to happen for the U.S.

A small but vocal group of enthusiasts really, really wants a true small-displacement sportbike. There aren't enough of us to make it a viable model.

In this country, small-displacement bikes are not particularly sport-oriented. They can be made so via the aftermarket, but stock they don't come with things like clip-ons or aggressive ergos. Face it... the Ninjette is an upright commuter bike with a fancy fairing. Always has been. Ditto pretty much everything else out there.

What drives the small-displacement market is rules in other countries, most notably the A2 restriction. All of the current 300-ish class machines are made to hit that limit.

If Suzuki does jump onto the little-bike bandwagon, it'll most likely be with a machine that competes directly against the Ninjette, RC390, CBR300 and R3. It'll probably be a parallel twin. It won't be a 250... it'll have displacement similar to the others. It won't be as interesting at that vaporware rendering.

In other words, another A2 bike a whole lot like every other A2 bike.

At this price point, there just isn't a whole lot of room for differentiation. Move up the food chain and you have different displacements (i.e. 600 vs. 636 vs. 675 vs. 750 vs. 959), V-twins, triples and inline fours, all kinds of electronic rider aids, different suspension choices up to and including full Ohlins race bits, conventional vs. single-sided swing arms, titanium exhausts, etc. etc. etc.

Down at the bottom end, it's either a single or a parallel twin, non-adjustable damper-rod forks, preload-adjust-only shock, single-disc brake up front and a steel frame. Unless I'm mistaken, that describes every small bike on the U.S. market. Some have ABS, and at least one comes with a slipper clutch. But for the most part, they're all cast from the same mold. The only one that really stands out in my view is the RC390.
I totally agree with you.

But let me add that you can be proud bc you own what can be said: 'Thus, the GSX-R 750 can proudly adorn entitled 'first and last 750cc Superbike".'

From the report '30 years Suzuki GSX-R750'
"Therefore Suzuki participated for reasons of prestige with the GSX-R 750 at the 24 Hours of Le Mans - and won right away. 24 hours continuous full throttle on the legendary course and the new 750-Suzuki skipped out of the competition with 1000 cubic."
because: "Pessimists doubted at IFMA, however, that the motor power could withstand permanently."

Please use a translator when you read the German report about the GSX-R750 http://www.heise.de/autos/artikel/30...s-2794309.html
Somchai is offline   Reply With Quote