Thread: DIY- Oil Change
View Single Post
Old October 3rd, 2009, 08:07 AM   #172
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samer View Post
I'm certain that is a myth. Check out the Mobil 1 website which has a section about synthetic oil myths.

So Mobil 1 which wants to sell you synthetic says it is fine to switch back and forth. Also there are many blends of synthetic and conventional sold. So for me this issue is 100% closed, but of course everyone can draw their own conclusions.

Since the vast majority of high performance cars (including Corvette) come from the factory with Mobil 1, I'm skeptical about the idea of having to wait before using a Synthetic for the 250. But there have been enough people warning about it that I just don't know the answer on that one. I have my doubts though.
The no synthetic oil crap during break in is crap. If you're changing oil frequently while the engine is new, syn oil is just too expensive to me to dump out at 100 and 600 mi. marks. You can run syn oil in your brand new engine and you'll be fine. Modern engines using modern materials for rings and cylinders do not rely on wear to seat rings. Ring seating is a function of design, geometry, and mostly cylinder pressures. You don't need or even want rings to wear to seat and they don't need metal-to-metal contact to do it. That's what oil also does, seals the rings BTW. Changing back to dino oil doesn't hurt anything.

Last futzed with by rockNroll; October 3rd, 2009 at 08:16 AM. Reason: I spell bad and added stuff.
rockNroll is offline   Reply With Quote