View Single Post
Old April 6th, 2016, 10:02 AM   #1
Bowtie2Bimmer
ninjette.org member

Name: TONY

Motorcycle(s): 2005 V-STROM 1000

Intermittent Brake Seizing

After getting the bike running, my buddy has bout about 650 mile son the bike. However he is having intermittent front brake seizing, basically the caliper is locking onto the disk. It will happen sometimes overnight: he will come out and the front wheel is locked. Other times it will be while he is riding. The font starts to drag to the point he just starts slowing down. Once stopped, the wheel is locked, you can't even push it. Again, its intermittent. Some days its fine. After a lockup, he would squeeze the brake lever and open the caliper bleeder valve to relieve pressure. It will work fine after that. Then, some time later (1 or more days) it will lock up again

I assumed water or some other contaminant in the line. I have flushed all the brake fluid and replaced with fresh DOT4. Still having the issue.

I then took the caliper off cleaned the pistons and seals. Still the problem persists.

My next step is to rebuild MC and caliper, but I wanted to check in here. Has anyone heard of this before? Any suggestions?
Bowtie2Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote