Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suki2003 View Post
Yes he made some bad choices... but he got scared and wasn't thinking straight, which happens, luckily he didn't hurt anyone.

I don't know how I would act if this happened to me, so I won't judge this guy. Though I know riding into oncoming traffic isn't an option.
Once you lose your cool and self-control, you have reached the psychological point of no return.
The main problem is that rider kept going while his mind was in survival mode.

First thing is stopping breathing properly and thinking rationally.
A big discharge of adrenaline into your blood stream and tunnel vision immediately follow.

Most survival reactions, that we normally try to avoid in order to ride well and safe, surely jumped into the confusion altogether:
1. Rolling off the gas.
2. Tightening on the bars.
3. Narrowed and frantically hunting field of view.
4. Fixed attention (on something).
5. Steering in the direction of the fixed attention.
6. No steering (frozen) or ineffective (not quick enough or too early) steering.
7. Braking errors (both over-and under-braking).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Michigan View Post
Wait, THIS guy is 44?.......
He is only 24: just an inexperienced baby rider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRedNinjette View Post
..... i'm not sure what the lane splitting laws are there but still, lots of bad decisions there...
It may be hard to understand for Californian riders.
I believe that his lane splitting was the trigger of the whole episode.
Lane splitting is illegal here in Florida; hence, most riders don't do it.

Even when most drivers don't even know about that law, I have witnessed crazy reactions from many of them when a motorcycle has split lanes next to them while waiting for a red light.
Anything from blocking the path, opening doors to simply screaming and/or gesturing obscenities.

I don't know what it is; maybe a sense of personal space invasion or of being cut in line or of my car/mirror almost got scratched.
It seems that the crazy driver took a personal offense and decided to prove the point of "I am the first in line here" by accelerating hard.
That was the point of let go by the rider: who cares who is first or faster or has more testosterone?

Both were very fortunate of not causing any accident, injuries or deaths.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.