View Single Post
Old November 26th, 2008, 03:00 PM   #15
OldGuy
Live Life

Name: Don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Green SE Ninja 250

First thanks to NB for his recent service to our country and to Alex for his service during "our" war.

Currently I’m a Telecommunications Analyst with the Nebraska Public Service Commission and have the good fortune of working with a great group of people; more like family than work sometimes. My primary responsibility is for the numbering resources in Nebraska’s two area codes and I continue to try stretching the life of our 402 Code. I represent one of our Commissioners on an FCC advisory council, co-chair a couple of national sub-committees, and in general have fun.

As it became obvious that school wasn't going to be for me and my draft number kept getting lower I decided I'd better make the decision on my future instead of the Army. Served in the US Navy from 1963 through 1974 (figured 3 hots and flop or nothing was better than mud); seven patrols on an FBM submarine and four years as an instructor at a Nuclear Prototype School in Idaho. Another twenty years in the commercial nuclear power industry, some time with a commercial fire alarm and security company here in Nebraska, and five years with a telecommunications test equipment company before coming to the Commission.

Along the way picked up an Amateur Radio Operators license, enjoyed radio controlled planes for several years, and got into mountain biking and road bikes about ten years ago. I got involved with the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society seven years ago and became the cycling coach here in Lincoln for the Team In Training Program training people over a 16 week program how to ride 100 miles in one day.

February of 2007 I was diagnosed with non-small cell lung cancer and underwent radiation therapy, removal of the upper lobe on my right lung, and a round of chemo. Two weeks ago was my the end of my first year in remission. Don’t have my 100 mile legs under me yet so got the Ninja as a way of still being able to train people and take them out on the long rides (hey that’s my story and I’m sticking to it).

Happy to say that Kelly became my mentor during the bike purchase process and found he is one special person (I just love to embarrass him this way).