View Single Post
Old October 5th, 2009, 08:52 AM   #5
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

You should definitely sit on a bunch of different bikes to get a feel for them...and I mean really sit on them. Get into full position and hold it for a few minutes. I generally find that the supersports tend to have a lot more knee bend, putting the hip flexors in a more contracted position...but this depends on the manufacturer, as some positions can be more extreme than others.

I'm about your height/weight so I'll throw in my observations. I most recently sat on an 01 zx9r and zx6r and those bikes are surprisingly comfortable. Lots of legroom. Also sat on a Ninja 650r, a Versys and the latest ZX-6R, along with a few R6's and CBR600's. Top contenders (for me) for long distance sport touring is definitely going to be the Versys, the FZ6R, or even the 01 zx6r/zzr600 (yes, the leg positioning is that impressive). Adequate wind protection is a must.

For alternative reasons (ie: hubris), my "upgrade" bike was an older model gixxer 750. The hips tend to cramp up a bit more, but the strain off my back and bottom end is no longer an issue. Also the superior wind protection reduces overall fatigue significantly, despite the exacerbated cramping. Take your time and really be picky.
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote