View Single Post
Old May 17th, 2016, 02:16 PM   #10
toEleven
Slower than you.

Name: toEleven

Motorcycle(s): CBR600RR, CB750, EX300 (半蔵)

MOTM - May '16
Philosophy is a pretty broad category, which means you'll either have an easy time finding something that suits you or you'll be hopelessly overwhelmed by choice. In my case, I got into it primarily because of physics. It may be some sort of lesser crime for me to suggest skipping Aristotle (or at least not prioritizing him)....but I personally don't care much for him. There are vastly more interesting and useful works to read. I tend to see ancient Greek philosophy as a historical curiosity moreso than an illuminating use of my time.

If you're looking for a place to start, go the academic route and start with a book on formal logic. I imagine that's a disappointing recommendation to some, but having the tools to analyze the arguments you'll find in everything else is pretty important. After you've done that, pick one or more areas that interest you (science? law? ethics?) and get a broad sample of the prominent ideas (and their authors, if you're in to people). Then use that broad but shallow knowledge to pick a spot for deeper diving.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.