View Single Post
Old May 18th, 2016, 07:19 PM   #8
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaFish View Post
You are asking a very California specific legal question. Internet advice is worth what you pay for it, and taking the wrong advice could land you in prison for a very long time.

If you really want to build one of them I would suggest you consult a attorney in CA about the legalities of bringing one back into the state.

I know here in VA, as long as the shotgun barrel is over 18" there is no need for federal tax stamp/registration as a SBS or AOW.
Normally when I ask legal questions like this I end up ultimately reading the fine print myself before doing this. The best reddit lawyers give you excerpts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjacob View Post
Why is that? As long as it is for personal use, not to be sold, meets minimum length and not full auto, what's the reason for the tax stamp?
Its perfectly legal to build an AR-15 but if a certain percentage of a firearm deviates from an original design it becomes a "zip gun." If you pay the $200 tax stamp, its now an "AOW" and not a "zip gun" and therefore legal.

And csmith, spud guns are illegal if they're combustion based. Any other pneumatic system is okay. And its limited to anything similar to a tater gun. When I was 15 I made a combustion based .177 bb gun and I believe it was legal, but I don't want any Californians to call me from prison. I was never able to chronograph it but it could send a BB through most of a phonebook. To give something with such little mass that much force is amazing. I have no doubt that if I loaded a pellets into it, I could have accurately dialed in some optics and made a reasonably cheap, ethical pesting gun.
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote