Thread: Misfire issue
View Single Post
Old May 23rd, 2016, 02:15 PM   #33
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatsby View Post
I got the new coils in, some of the wiring is different than the one pictued in the guide. Would I be correct to assume it doesn't matter as I'm cutting everything away and only using the two wires into each oem connector?
Yeah, all you're doing is cannibalizing the connector. Here's a pic from another guy who did this on his 500 (using the same '04 ZX6R parts I did, and which you seem to have bought).

That's all you need to do - adapt the harness coil wires to mate up to the plugs on the stick coils. Male spade terminals make it easy and PnP, but you could go so far as to solder them to the harness (since the plug comes off the CoP).

Just hook red to red (positive wire on all cylinders of both bikes) and the other wire to the other color (varies by cylinder).

On the '04 ZX6R, two of the red wires are shorter than the others. I just unwrapped the harness, opened up the crimp on the red wires (to keep them as long as possible), then cut the black wires to match the length of the red ones. You may find that the wires of a certain length work better on your bike (I was able to use one long and one short, so I can keep the other long & short pair together as a set).

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote