View Single Post
Old November 28th, 2008, 01:03 AM   #1
kkim

DIY How to Lube and Adjust the 250R Clutch Cable and How to Add 10 HP w/ one Mod!!!

Okay most people new to bikes most likely don't know how to do this, but if your clutch is hard to pull, it makes working the engagement point that much more difficult.

By lubing and adjusting the clutch it will feel a lot smoother and you will be able to work it a bit easier if yours is dirty and corroded inside the cable.

so, lets get started....

first, this is the clutch lever and cable that we will be adjusting.

-015.jpg

begin by turning the inner locking knob counterclockwise as far as you can go...

-016.jpg

next screw in the outer adjusting knob clockwise as far as it will go so it is closer to the clutch lever assembly...

-017.jpg -018.jpg

next, face the front of the lever assembly from the front and align all the slots in the adjusters and lever assembly...

-019.jpg

next part required 2 hands so I was unable to snap pics of the process, but pull the cable sheathing (the outside of the cable) away from the lever assembly by working the lever a few times while pulling the sheath. You need to work the sheath until the end of the sheath can slip over the end of the adjustor to free the cable. Once that is done, slip the cable through the slots that you aligned earlier.

-020.jpg -021.jpg

the cable terminates with a barrel on the end located in a round hole on the bottom of the lever. remove the cable from the lever.

-022.jpg

-023.jpg

once free, this is what the cable end looks like. Clean up any grease, dirt or corrosion that may be on the end of the cable.

-024.jpg

this is what you will need to lube the cable. The blue thing in the middle is a cable luber available at most MC shops or online. I have no idea what they cost now, as I've had this one for a good 20-30 years. They sell cable lubricant for use with the luber, but over the years this combo of wd-40 and triflow has been my treatment for cables. The wd-40 is used to flush out the cable of all impurities (dirt, water, corrosion) and the triflow is used after the cable is cleaned to leave a layer of Teflon through out the cable as a lubricant.

-025.jpg

Put the cable luber on the end of the cable..

-026.jpg

put the cable barrel termination on one side of the luber and the sheathing metal jacket on the other side, then tighten the screw on the luber to close up.

-027.jpg -028.jpg

this is where the clutch cable termintes. slide the little rubber booty down so the lubricant can flow freely though the cable.

-029.jpg

stick the plastic straw into the hole in the luber and spray away with the wd-40. cover it up with a rag as it can sometimes get messy. you should see the wd-40 exiting down by the engine case as you spray. look carefully and you can see a white milky fluid on the ground. I assume I had water in the cable from washing the bike.

-030.jpg -031.jpg -032.jpg

once you are satisfied the cable sheathing is clean of all dirt and debris, switch to the tri flow and repeat.

-033.jpg

next will be putting everything back together and adjusting.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote