View Single Post
Old May 26th, 2016, 07:53 AM   #1
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Name: Danny

Motorcycle(s): 2008 CBR600rr, 1987 KLR 250

Back on a 250!

Well, a KLR 250, but still kawasaki

I decided to pick up my first dual sport, she's old (1987) but a good bike. This is my second bike, in addition to my cbr600rr. I do have some plans for the bike. She's old and needs a lot of love. I picked her up for $1,400 with 5,400 miles. I know she's going to need maintenance, I already ordered a repair manual for her and a motorcycle center lift.

Things I will need to do.

-Valve adjustment
-Carb clean
-Change oil & filter
-Coolant Flush
-Clean air filter (maybe get a new one)
-Re-Paint the engine and header -Black-
-New Tires (dual sport 50/50 tires, knobbies not so good on road)
-Maybe new sprockets and chain
-New Spark Plug
-Various Relays and lights to get her to pass inspection

I'm sure i'm forgetting about a lot of other things I will need to do.

Some mods, gonna be on the minimal with mods, just trying to get used to the bike but here's what i'm thinking.

-Braided brake lines (more of learning experience on how to install)
-Stunt clutch lever
-HID headlight
-Better mirrors
-Better grips

I bought this bike mainly because I wanted a dual sport to go off roading and on roading with. But even though I could have afforded a brand new bike, I decided to go with the nearly 30 year old bike because I wanted something to work on, something to "restore" (yes I use that word lightly!) I love the character of this bike! I want to learn how to wrench a bike and I think this will be a perfect example, it's fairly easy to work on and parts are rather cheap.

I have more photos but currently photobucket is having a meltdown, i'll add them later.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.