Thread: Plasti dip?
View Single Post
Old June 3rd, 2016, 07:53 AM   #9
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
A lot of members have had amazing success with plasti-dip. The only complaints I ever see are from people who haven't used it because it "looks cheap" or it makes them grump-out real hard for some reason or another.

but, here's why I'll never buy their products again, based on experience. I bought several cans of Blaze Orange plasti-dip. It was pretty damn warm out, and well within the right operating temperature of the plasti-dip as it said on the can. It sprayed out these little gobs of dried crap all over my fairings and tank. I tried every can and they all did this. I used lighter fluid to degunk all of the sprayer-nozzles, and they kept gunking up. I shook them for what was easily too long, made sure the cans were warm enough by soaking them in hot water, and I still couldn't get a thick enough coat on my bike to look good. The bottoms of the cans started to bulge from the little marble inside smacking into it so much. And it still kept clogging up the nozzle. I called customer service and they said "Oh well! Return it to the store!" I didn't bother. I was so done with it. And I haven't even mentioned the best part yet! Since I wasn't able to get a thick enough coat on, it peeled off unevenly and I spent days getting the stuff off. I've still got some on my tank in a part that isn't visible over a year later. I called customer service again and she said to use gasoline or lighter fluid, which are pretty bad for your clear-coat, and this was before my bike had all those scrapes and the paint was respectable, so I wasn't about to do that.

That said, it seems to only happen with their Blaze colors. I personally won't be trying their products again, ever.
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote