Old June 4th, 2016, 09:07 AM   #6
CaliGrrl
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
I don't ride and I don't follow motorsport for the rush or the danger. Period. I ride for the pleasure of learning and executing a skill. I ride for the challenge of getting it perfect. Speed doesn't matter to me.

I was chatting recently with another forum member at a track day. He said that if he's not getting just a little scared he's not pushing hard enough. Perhaps his personal view reflects your statement somewhat. It works for him, so who am I to judge?

But that's not me by any stretch of the imagination. If I'm pushing so hard I'm getting scared, it means that my mind is occupied with something other than the task at hand. That's risky, and risk is something I work very hard to avoid.

The same goes for spectating. Every time someone pulls out that tired cliche about fans only going because of the crashes I try to explain that it's not why I'm there... nobody ever believes me. It's every bit as annoying as the mid-life crisis stereotype I constantly get hit with, or the adrenaline junkie stereotype.

Is it surprising that I don't like Jackass videos either? Or Tom & Jerry cartoons? Or MMA or boxing? I just don't find injury and death entertaining in any way. It's not funny to me. It's not pleasurable. Maybe that makes me exceptional. I don't know.
Yeah, I'm the same. Totally. I like to see things done well. I love my bike and I love riding, and doing it right. The feel when you get a corner done smoothly. Yeah!

Not interested in scaring myself, even a little. I have other venues for that which don't involve danger while I'm distracted.

Add to the list- fights at hockey games. I get why the players fight, but I kind of mentally check out and wait until they're done. People tell me fans only go to see the fights and I disagree with them. I love hockey games, but I don't enjoy the fights.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote