Thread: Back on a 250!
View Single Post
Old June 8th, 2016, 08:01 AM   #18
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero Danny View Post
I'm proud of myself. For the first time ever I adjusted my valves (I made sure engine was TDC and I adjusted them slightly on the loose side, went by repair manual), changed the spark plug and rejetted the carb. I also shimmed the needle with one washer. I changed the oil and am going to replace my air filter. The bike runs great and pulls really hard for a 250. but she's hard to kick over sometimes. Once in a while she will start first kick, other times it can take 10-15 kicks. I'm worried she may need a top end rebuild, not sure... I'm just going to ride her and see what happens.
Play with the idle mixture screw. Small singles can be picky about the setting, and won't start well unless it's in just the right place. Usually the starting point is about 1.5 turns out. Some carbs will have a idle mixture screw that adjusts the air bleed, others will have one that adjusts the fuel bleed. It's nice to know which you are dealing with. Turning an air bleed in makes it richer, turning a fuel bleed in makes it leaner.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.