View Single Post
Old June 16th, 2016, 07:29 AM   #19
Mike V
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250R, 2014 CBR650F

Been a while since I've checked in. So after almost a year of riding the little Ninja 250, I feel that I'm ready for something with more power and better suited for the highway. I've only put 600 miles on the 250R but I find that I'm shifting and even rev-match downshifting without much thought. It's kind of like learning how to drive a manual car - after a while, you don't even think about it. It makes me feel much more at ease on the bike since I'm able to concentrate more on what is going on around me.

So what bike is next? The local powersports place has a leftover new 2014 CBR650F and a 2014 VFR800F Interceptor that are both marked down quite a bit. I'm leaning more toward the VFR after reading how well it does on the highway and seems to be an all around good bike. I also like that it has a VTAK "V" engine instead of the inline 4 in the 650F.

Any experience with the newer VFRs? The local VFR is marked down to $10k from $12.5k. Maybe I can get it for even less. It's bright red so I'm guessing that's why it's still sitting there which is great for me, as a weirdo who loves red bikes. I don't get a warm fuzzy when I walk into that place though so I'm not sure if I want to give them the business.

I'm open to other makes/models too. Anything else I should consider? I like sport bikes but with the handlebars a bit higher than the typical 'super' sport bike. Seems that the categorizing of bikes is different on whichever site you look at, but I don't think I'd be comfortable on the "super sport" style bike. On the other extreme, I don't like the feet-forward seating position of the cruiser bikes. The sport touring category seems to be a bit tall and awkward looking to me (such as the FJ), so I probably wouldn't be interested in those either. I'd also like to stay away from naked bikes; although the FZ-07 / FZ-09 sound like great bikes, I'd like more wind protection for the highway. Yamaha's FZ6R could be a possibility too.

Thanks again for all the advice on this forum! Even when I do get another bike, I will continue reading this site. The rider tips from the many experienced riders on here are invaluable!
Mike V is offline   Reply With Quote