View Single Post
Old June 16th, 2016, 10:18 AM   #21
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Name: Danny

Motorcycle(s): 2008 CBR600rr, 1987 KLR 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
Some also like a slight twist of the throttle as you are kicking when hot. Technique is important. You'll get it! I prefer kick starters. Dirt bikes with electric start only (some don't even have a kick starter anymore) are annoying!

As far as the idle mixture goes, one way to set it is to get the engine fully warm, then adjust the idle to the highest speed with the idle mixture screw. From there i usually go richer about 1/8 of a turn, which smooths out the transition as you open the throttle. After it's set you may need to use the idle speed screw to drop the idle back down a bit.
Just figured I would update you and say that I've gotten the technique down. I think my problem was I wasn't using enough of my weight to kick it. Hard to explain but I center more of my weight over my right leg and it starts 1-2 kicks now.

One issue that it does have is that if I choke it all the way and kick it over, I have about 2 seconds to turn the choke off or the bike will die. I don't know why but even cold the bike doesn't like to be choked, yet it won't start unless it is choked (weird I know).