View Single Post
Old June 16th, 2016, 08:57 PM   #45
juliusmichaelhonrada
ninjette.org guru

Name: Julius Michael

Motorcycle(s): GPX250-RII

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalNinja250 View Post
That looks like a standard tensioner assembly. The way it works is a spring pushes the rod downward through the ring with the ball bearings in it. The ring and balls are called a sprag clutch, they allow the rod to only travel downwards but not back up again. You're missing the spring. The screw up top in the housing is only for assembly. You loosen the screw almost all the way out, push the rod up into the housing until it bottoms, and tighten the screw so that it engages the groove at the top of the rod to hold everything in place. You tighten the housing down on the engine casing then loosen the screw to release the rod. The spring pushes the rod downward to engage the cam chain follower, then you tighten the screw to keep it from falling out. Once the rod plunges downward the screw does nothing when it's tightened.
The bolt in my tensioner is not stock right? i think the previous owner , slipped some bolt and a nut and tightened it with the screw so that it permanently pushes down the rod without the spring?

What i did to diagnose the tensioner is , while at 2T mark in the sightglass , the tensioner is not bolted down tightly in the engine but still has some tread sticking , when i turn the crankshaft the tensioner bolt wants to go up and down and the chain was not tight and the cam skipped a tooth or two so i had to remove everything again and retime it .. but when i boltdown the tensioner assembly fully tightened the chain cant skip a tooth no matter how hard i crank it and how fast , how do i know if it tensions good enough

update :
the bolt and nut inside the housing was like a manual tensioner , when i rotate the nut counterclockwise the housing goes up pushing teh bolt more down and tightening the tensioner more and vice versa... lol
juliusmichaelhonrada is offline   Reply With Quote