View Single Post
Old July 5th, 2016, 05:34 PM   #2
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
That's about all there is to the charging system. The stator puts out AC, the R/R rectifies it to DC and regulates it down to ~12V. If you're replacing it anyway, I suggest looking into the MOSFET R/R mod.

I would expect it to have problems at 8V, both in actually cranking, and in working voltage for the igniter. Use your ammeter and see if you're getting any usual current draw while the bike is completely off, or key-on but not running.

Is 45VAC within spec? On the 500, they say 60. (The 250 may very well be a different number, but they use the same R/R.)

My Clymer's R/R test procedure says that you should get a high reading one way and a low reading the other way (at least 10x difference), but it doesn't say which direction you should get each. I'm thinking that your test may not have been conclusive of a bad R/R if the only issue was opposite directions.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote