View Single Post
Old July 7th, 2016, 09:32 PM   #8
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Let's bump this thread, because we do talk about vision from time to time but rarely focus.

As your visual focus improves and can narrow in an instant, you can finally see the track and events on the track in let's somewhat say... "HD" (high visual detail) format. This is both good and bad, can anyone tell me why?

Here I will give hint at the bad answer for free...
If your visually focused on something, then really ask yourself how much your peripheral vision is lying to you? (hint: a la blinders on a horse style)
This is good because it allows you to approach each point with confidence, I also personally love this view despite it's downsides since it "slows things down" for me. The downside of this is that I went through a corner 3 wide once without even knowing I was 3 wide visually (I heard someone around but not sure where) despite that there was a rider on either side of me that I didn't quite notice despite one of them being within my peripheral vision.

In addition to this in long sweepers when your focus is too far down and you are relying on peripheral vision to tell where you are on the track it is an easy trap to find yourself hugging the inside tighter than you intended to and end up clipping the kerb/grass

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Hmmm... crickets I see.

Easier question then, what part of your vision does your brain perceive as moving faster? Your focal point in vision or your peripheral?

And if you want to prep for the next question, google up "priming". Lemme give you a clue and secret of what I mean. The reason my clients ride well on the track with me and make progress, is because I "prime" them to do so ahead of time, starting in the paddock. And you can do it too, starting with your vision. An easy example of visual priming is following a rider that is showing you "the race line" around a track. So what else can you prime up ahead of time?
Been busy hahahaha

The peripheral vision appears to be moving faster as there is less information being gathered about it from the eyes, the act of widening our vision and being more aware of our surroundings is the act of gathering more information from our peripheral vision

Priming is a hell of a subject that I am looking forward to as it can strongly affect the mental side of the sport, an area that I feel I am lacking in.

One idea of priming is to concentrate your mind to the goal at hand, say you are intending to work on being smoother on the throttle at corner exit. Before going out to ride you would be thinking about how you intend to be smoother on the throttle and out on track that thought process would continue and you would naturally place more focus on the skill you are intending to work on (or the part of the track you are figuring out)