Thread: 140 80 17 tires
View Single Post
Old August 13th, 2016, 02:39 PM   #230
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroGravity360 View Post
Also, I just replaced my front brakes but never touched anything but the pistons... I had to push them in all the way, What else needs to be done? do I HAVE to bleed them? or can I be okay with just replacing them. (I had someone help me that knew that he was doing)
Did you clean the pistons before pushing them back in? As you use up the brake pads, more of the side of the piston is exposed and gets road crud on it. If you push it back in without cleaning it, it can interfere with the seals. It's best if you disassemble the whole caliper and clean it thoroughly (which also ensures that you're servicing related parts like replacing old fluid), but you should at least be making sure the sides of the pistons are scrubbed clean.

Ghostt has posted a writeup of the caliper cleaning process if you want to search for it.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***