Old August 18th, 2016, 11:12 AM   #99
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

Name: B

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250, 2008 Ninja 250, 2019 KTM 1290SDR, 2017 FZ10

MOTM - Mar '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by daverdfw View Post
So can I use the free plastigage from the parts store or do I need to order that other one with the smaller tolerances ?

so it looks like I can use the green plastigage I will get some.

From reading the FSM and this thread, the main thing is I should transfer all of my bearings from the old case to the new one. And since they are sized to the crank, there should be no issues since the old engine was running just fine even after I crashed the motor ran I just couldnt get a gear to engage.

Once I get the cases I will take pics and post here to verify the color hopefully blue. And then will basically proceed to take all of the components out of the old case and transplant into the new one. Using the plastigage to double check the clearance even when reusing my old bearings. Clean all mating surfaces, replace gaskets, use thin layer of HondaBond HT which I have coming tomorrow.

Also I will follow the FSM to align the crank and cams based on the marks they put on the gears to align them correctly. Before I take everything apart should I put the crank at TDC? or does it not matter since I am taking it out.

Am I on the right path here?

just as a point of clarification, the bearing inserts are split in half, I have seen conflicting info on wether I can just swap them from the old case or they are somehow like pressed into each case half? Can someone shed some light on this for me.
There are blue bearings and brown ones. These will be marked on the cases by a blue or brown paint spot. Provided both cases have the same colors, the bearings should be good to go. Color codes are on a flange on a case half.

RacinNinja is offline   Reply With Quote