View Single Post
Old August 18th, 2016, 08:42 PM   #20
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Name: Misti

Motorcycle(s): currently: Yamaha YZF 250 dirt/motard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirref View Post
It was really interesting, the first few times I drew the track I found myself forgetting an entire corner, and I still can't gauge how long the straights are but I'm learning a lot from it. I've started sharing it with many of my fellow track day friends since there's so much to learn from such a simple concept.

That's actually something I have been working on, trying to open the throttle the moment I have reached my maximum lean for the corner. Sometimes that is at the apex, sometimes it is before, and sometimes after (with a few passing lines) Some corners this isn't quite possible to open it up right away though due to how long you stay leaned over but in the vast majority of corners it is helping my exit speeds quite a bit.

I still feel my greatest weakness to be in corner entry as it is a delicate balance between maintaining high entrance speeds while not charging the corners and losing drive out due to excessive entry speeds. This continues to be a vision issue that I am working out. I wish I had another track day to spend working on this before my races this weekend
I'm not sure I understand the comment " not possible to open it up right away due to how long you stay leaned over." You are right when you say that you want to get on the gas ASAP once the bike is turned, or pointed in the direction you want to go. Sometimes that is at the apex, sometimes before...but it doesn't have anything to do with how long the bike is leaned over for. You can be rolling on the gas, and should be rolling on the gas all the way through a corner, even if you are at max lean angle through the turn. There are several examples in the video of times when you could have been on the gas sooner, that you weren't.

Now, you also say that you have issues with entry speed. Entry speed is tied closely to throttle control in that you will be hard pressed to get on the gas asap if you feel like you have gone into the turn with too much entry speed.

So, as you are approaching a corner, WHEN do you look into the turn and WHAT do you look at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickjpass View Post
I find that looking as far away as possible makes me feel more comfortable.

At NYST in the back section, corners 8-11, I will use the corner working tower as a reference point, and even as I go into 8,9, or 10, that's where my field of vision is.
There is a misconception about looking as far ahead as possible, this is only beneficial at certain times. Having reference points like you listed is good because you can certainly get lost if you try to look too far ahead too soon.
Misti is offline   Reply With Quote