View Single Post
Old August 29th, 2016, 07:40 AM   #21
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemc View Post
So... if I understand this correctly.

I want to warm the bike up, but not really by idling it... but driving it nicely until it's fully warmed up.

Then I want to drive the back, varying the rpms from 1000 to a little under redline? While engine braking casually? To engine brake I slowly let off the throttle? or do I let go completely at once? Downshift once I stop?

Also, I read to turn the bike off every now and then for about 5 minutes to let the heat do its thing.
Yes - start it up, let it idle while you get your gear on, then ride. I always keep the engine under 1/2 of redline until it's warm - maybe a bit less on a new engine.

No - don't spin up near redline at this point. You want LOAD on the engine, not REVS. Keep the revs near Kawasaki's recommended range. To get load, you want to shift early and open the throttle more than normal - pulling hard but not revving much past the recommendation. When cruising in top gear, open the throttle a lot and pull hard, but watch your speed and RPMs.

Heat cycling the engine (warming/cooling) is not a bad idea. Ride for 30 minutes, come back and let it cool for an hour, and ride again.

Some basic rider training will answer some of the operating questions in a way that will make sense.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.