View Single Post
Old September 25th, 2016, 07:38 AM   #25
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Name: Misti

Motorcycle(s): currently: Yamaha YZF 250 dirt/motard

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Couple of things I have learned over the years...

There is NO one size fits all for body position or seating position for that matter.
"Sometimes, when the track has the traction, tires have the grip and the bike has the lean, the rider can be awarded a lot of freedoms of body position and style." - csmith12

Is it right = no
Is it wrong = no
Does it work for her/him = that's all that matters

Even CSS will not hold 100% stern to their own 1 cheek off base. Each rider is different on their own bike. Flexibility of style and form is a requirement to get the most of each rider/machine/tarmac/conditions combination. And to ignore it, is a disservice to the safety of the rider.

Learning when and why to adjust is a major breakthrough as a rider.
I'd agree with this. At CSS we fit the rider to the bike and work with how THEY sit, fit and feel comfortable. The goal is always the same, to get the rider going with the bike and to reduce overall lean angle, and to have them be able to maintain relaxed arms but the adjustments can be different for each rider. Sometimes it takes a small tweak here or there for someone to really just "get it."

Another thing to consider is that Body Position is tied into other aspects of riding tech. What I mean by that is that sometimes it is counter productive to try and focus on body position first when other basics aren't in place yet. Case in point....I'm private coaching a girl at Wilzig Racing Manor (Private race track) and the people that have been working with her have been trying to get her to hang off and sort out her body position. Problem is, she didn't really know how to correctly steer the motorcycle. I spent about 30 minutes working on a steering exercise with her where I taught her to press on the left bar to go left and then step by step had her going with the bike, pushing forward not down etc etc....by the end of the steering drill she felt confident getting the bike turned. When we went back out on track her body position was amazing because she was steering correctly and going with the bike. She understood. The guys that had been working with her were stunned, how did you get her body position sorted out so quickly they asked?

Now that she is going a little bit faster with good body position I can tweak it so she is hanging off correctly but right now her position is perfect for her speed and ability.
Misti is offline   Reply With Quote