View Single Post
Old October 13th, 2016, 01:02 PM   #106
FrugalNinja250
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEFY View Post
So you would much rather have a DMV for guns. Guns already have serial numbers and come with the ability to register them with their perspective makers. Hunters already take hunter safety courses that are well open to the public, don't have to be a hunter to take it. Say the least, the knowledge and ability is already out there. Sure making it more aware would probably help, but laws don't need to govern that ability. Hell if you never shot a gun or have no knowledge regarding them just ask a co-worker that hunts. They love to help and show off their tools, we do it for fun in a safe environment.
I think the fundamental issue here is that some gun owners fear that if there's a government record of that ownership then the government is more likely to someday come and take their gun from them, perhaps as a part of the implementation of marshal law during a national or global social and economic collapse.

I think the fear is real, it's not imaginary, but I also think the fear is not legitimate. If in deed there was a catastrophe of that nature then the pea shooters that most gun owners have won't make a hill of beans difference against the weapons the government already has.

The fact of the matter is that if there is a collapse of that nature then 95% of the people reading this will be dead inside a year, probably much sooner than that, and that includes a lot of the so-called preppers. No amount of personally owned small arms will make a difference in that scenario, other than perhaps to hasten the final result as people who thought they were honorable, decent people decide to use their guns to take food from others in order to feed their own starving children.

Would you be willing to watch your child starve to death?

No.

The real task is to prevent that from happening, and one obstacle to that is the false sense of security that comes with owning guns.

BTW, I'm a gun-owner, have been all of my life. I've sent thousands of rounds down-range over the decades. I don't hunt for philosophical reasons, and I've never had to point a weapon at anyone. I don't have a CCW, and probably won't get one. I like guns because they're fun to shoot, and I like the concentration and mental focus demanded by long-distance target shooting.

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.