View Single Post
Old October 20th, 2016, 08:28 AM   #26
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindboy View Post
I had just taken a trip from NYC to the Boston area to visit a friend and to explore the MA roads. ~200 mile trip with no problems at all going ~80mph on the highways. The bike held up great but man was I freezing from the early morning chilly air.

Side note - on the trip back I had noticed my engine oil pressure light up sparsely and for only a few seconds. Would long rides at higher RPM change viscosity of the oil causing the sensor to light up? Last oil change I had done was 1500 miles ago.
The Ninja will lose some oil into the airbox from extended high RPM running when hot. It's not drastic, but it does add up. Best to check the level carefully (using the proper technique - http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_do_I_check_my_oil%3F) before heading out.

A breakdown of your oil, and loss of oil pressure, would be odd and unusual for the Ninja or any other water-cooled engine unless there was a cooling system problem. I would check the coolant level and condition just to be safe. Running a synthetic oil like Rotella T6 is good insurance against oil-related problems, but most conventional oils that are designed or rated for cycle use should be adequate.

If you still see the light flicker after you confirm that the oil level, coolant level, and type of oil are correct, I would look into it further. At idle it isn't as critical as it is during normal riding, but it shouldn't be coming on any time the engine is running.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote