Old November 11th, 2016, 10:56 AM   #17
Z1R rider
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Roger

Motorcycle(s): 1978 Z1R, 1999 EX250

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy View Post
I was able to take this video of how the bike is running... hopefully someone can make some sense of it.

The only thing I have not done is check the float height which is next.
In the video you show the "choke" (not really a choke but an enriching circuit) is in the on position, that will make it very rich at idle and make the throttle hang at higher RPM's and flood out at low RPM's. I'm surprised it will even run with full enriching, there may be a vacuum leak between the carbs and head. Have you had the manifolds off and checked for tears or splits, especially where it pushes onto the head. They like to tear under the clamp. Float height is very important. I set my floats on the bench so I don't have to install and remove the carbs hundreds of times. Rig up a fuel feed of some sort and put a clear hose on the nipple on the bottom of the fuel bowl. Route the hoses up alongside the carbs and open the drain valve, then let the fuel run in and monitor the fuel level in the hoses. I mount my carbs at an angle like they are mounted on the motor. I also noticed you don't have the airbox on, they will not carburet properly with out it, the rubber boots between the airbox and the carbs direct the incoming air properly into and past the opening at the back of the carbs. The carbs like non turbulent air coming into them, that's why they like airboxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy View Post
the last rocker broke or was already broken. As soon as I went to loosen it, it just shifted off of the valve.
Did you find the little "ear" that broke off? If not, go looking for it as it could cause havok if left in the motor!