View Single Post
Old November 28th, 2016, 08:43 AM   #2
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cra1g View Post
So my 2007 Ninja 250 uses Candy Persimmon Red and I need spray paint in that color. I found what looks to be a website that sells OEM colors, but it's $34 for an 11 oz. spray can:

http://www.colorrite.com/product/kaw...n-red-1495.cfm

Anyone know if I could at least get a close match out of cheaper options from the hardware store?
Chances are even the Colorite paint isn't going to be dead-on.

A true "candy" color is a transparent tinted topcoat over a base color, usually silver. That's a pain to do consistently, so most OEM "candy" colors are not a true candy. That's good if you are trying to match a color.

Many times there are "2-stage" colors that have a base and topcoat, which gets a bit tricky. With a metallic paint, spraying "wet" (heavy) give the metallic time to settle and appear darker. Too wet and it will "mottle" or "tiger-stripe". Too"dry" and the metallic is sticking up. That will make it appear lighter, but a heavy wet coat of clear can make it mottle as well.

It would be a long shot to find any common paint locally that's remotely close to your color, but a good auto body paint supplier may be able to help you if you bring in a piece to match.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.