Thread: A Racer's Brain
View Single Post
Old January 20th, 2017, 01:46 PM   #15
SpeedCraft
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Warren

Motorcycle(s): None currently

Thanks Z1R rider and JohnnyBravo!

Misti, I know there is a lot of stuff to read through on my site., but if you ever do have the time, I would be very interested in hearing your feedback.

BTW, Keith Code's TOTW probably saved my life back in the early 80s. I had never ridden before, so I did the only logical thing and bought a clapped out 900cc Kawi. Took it up into the hills above Silicon Valley and scared the crap out of myself (almost became a hood ornament for a Volvo). I putted home, parked it, probably changed my underwear, and drove to the motorcycle store to buy a copy. Ahhh counter steering, that's why the damn thing wouldn't turn!

Hi Panda, I agree that the requirement for adapting to new circumstances and learning new skills is not a "modern world" problem. However, to me the skill we are talking about is very specialized; requiring a balance of intuition/instinct (which does the actual vehicle control) and intellect/analysis (which manages the whole process, navigates, evaluates performance etc.). To me, the 'modern world' element of the problem is that at our current state of evolution, many societies have adopted an overwhelming bias toward Rational, Logical, Analytical (left hemisphere) brain function/use. I feel this ingrained bias is so strong that many rider cannot connect with their intuitive rider (or mistrust it so they won't give it control), which results in a rider who feels constantly overwhelmed as they try to 'think' their way around the track.
SpeedCraft is offline   Reply With Quote