View Single Post
Old February 24th, 2017, 12:33 PM   #2
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMarine View Post
I recently got my 94 ninja 250 running and think that I have done everything that I can do but want some input on it before I take it in to the shop.

The bike starts up fine but if it's on full choke it idles at 5k RPM. I can adjust the idle screw to where it sits at 3k fine without any choke but if I go below that it has a lot of trouble staying in one spot and bounds from 1500-3000. Lastly if I rev the engine to around 6-7k RPM it will bog down after hitting that high rev as if it is going to die then creeps back up to 3k. The engine also has a slight tick but its kind of loud.

I have cleaned the carbs twice now and all of he fittings are tight, cables aren't caught up, boots are sealed, butterflies are closing.
The only thing I can think of is that I'm using gas that's been sitting all winter.
I would say the gas could definitely be the problem. Draining the tank completely, as well as draining the floatbowls (and looking at what came out) is a good first step.

If that doesn't change things, it's time to pull the carbs again. It sounds like something may not be right. You should have removed the caps on the idle mixture screws, removed the screws, cleaned the passages, and have them set to 2.5 turns out.

It sounds like the idle mixture could be off or the passages are partially plugged. There should be a spring, washer, and o-ring on each screw. Sometimes the o-ring breaks apart and plugs the passage. The carbs should also be synced when you have them off.

When cold and on choke, have it set so the engine will run about 2000 to 2500 RPMs, and back it down as soon as it will idle without it.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.