View Single Post
Old March 16th, 2017, 03:51 PM   #3
rgx107
ninjette.org member

Name: Rolf

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300

Yes all windings are within spec, but the spec is fairly generous: 0.05 - 0.6 ohm. I measured them to 0.5-0.6 ohm - though if I just put the test leads together the instrument shows 0.3 ohm (the resistance of cables and connectors), so I guess the actual resistance is around 0.3 ohm. And also they have similar voltages which makes me think they are OK. I can't believe the coincidence of all three of them being partly shorted in the exact same way. And there is no isolation fault either. Magnets however, since all of them rotate past the coils, a few of them could fail and others be good, that would give lower voltage reading on a simple instrument. Same reading on all coils.

And please share, the failed stators you have seen, have they had lower voltage? Similar to this case? Sure windings in the coil could get shorted especially where the laps overlap. But all three? I will need to measure again.

The shop manual says magnets can go bad by "age", but what I have learned earlier about magnets is that most common cause is overheating. Yes I don't understand how they could overheat, or age that quickly either.
rgx107 is offline   Reply With Quote