View Single Post
Old April 4th, 2017, 05:23 PM   #16
Illegal

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisiBill View Post
The first two eBay links are not suitable for headlights. The first LED one is listed as 180-540 lumens. The crappy stock H4 is ~1100 lumens. The second one is incandescent and 5W. That's basically a turn signal bulb. The third U7 LED is probably sufficient power, but it's listed as a spot light. It'll have a very focused beam, not good for illuminating the entire road in front of you. The last one uses 25W bulbs, half of the stock 55/60W H4. I've heard people saying the heat from the bulbs was enough to melt those housings even.

In short, most of those are cheap crap. The one that might be decent isn't a headlight.

Those cheap Chinese gauges are hit or miss. The one I bought to check out for another project was the same style as the one you linked. What I got didn't exactly match the instructions that came with it or the eBay description. You may have to do a bit of experimenting to get it to work as expected with your bike. You'll also have to install the speedo sensor for the aftermarket gauge. Also, pay attention to the measurements. The 500 has relatively large gauges, so all the aftermarket gauges (namebrand and knockoff) seem really small to me. That whole gauge unit isn't much bigger than just my stock tach dial.
Finally a useful reply.

Unfortunately i had already purchased my light. I went with the 25w assembly. Its looks pretty cool. But you are right the light is nowhere near the stock headlight.

It normally isn't a problem most of the streets around here are very well lit. but every now and then i ride on a dark street and cant see the road more then 10 or 15 feet ahead.

I think it might be the way it is mounted I'm using the stock brackets for the fairings. the light seems to be pointed downward. When mounted directly to the forks it will have a more upright position hopefully extending my night vision.

I really want to upgrade to some leds if you can please point me in the direction of some bulbs that might fit on that headlight.

Also went ahead and got the gauges. The connectors seem to be the same. even the speedometer connection is the same. I'm waiting to get the new bar so I can mount it directly on there.