Old April 12th, 2017, 07:36 AM   #13
cableguy
ninjette.org member

Name: Adam

Motorcycle(s): The one with two wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
You should be good then.

A couple things about that tire - look at the production date. It's 4 numbers on an oval on the sidewall like "3607". The first 2 digits are the week of the year (36th week) and the second 2 are they last 2 of the year (2007). Generally 5 years is the lifespan of a cycle tire - no matter how much tread is on it. Rubber dries out and traction degrades with age no matter how much use it has. Some factors like UV , heat, heat cycles, etc will speed-up the process.

It's hard to tell from the photo, but it may say "2913", so it would be on the edge. It's in about the 10:00 position in the photo.

One other thing on that particular tire - it looks like the sell has used some type of rubber treatment on it to "wet it down". If so, that's a problem. If you decide to use it you will need to clean all of it off well or risk having the rear tire slide out when cornering.
Again, learning more and thanks for the tips! Will check the dates.

I know!! It looks like he dunked the tire in a vat of "tire wet".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Jet View Post
Ya dun good laddy! Heck, even the tire has some miles left in it. And the axle and adjusters to boot! What would you charge me to shop for me on eBay? Hey, you might not have wanted a black wheel but if you took some 320 grit then some 400 grit and (whew) some 600 grit sandpaper to just the outside rim it looks pretty cool.
I did want black. The current bike is a 1994 Black and Purple paint scheme, which will be all black soon.
cableguy is offline   Reply With Quote