View Single Post
Old May 8th, 2017, 08:10 PM   #1
streetfighterninja
ninjette.org newbie

Name: t

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Ninja 250, 1989 Yamaha XT350

2000 ninja 250 dies after warming up

Hey everyone,
I'm new to this forum, but I checked the FAQ and all the tips in the wiki.
I have a few strange issues with my ninja 250 and I'll try to be as detailed as possible

its a 2000 ninja 250, the previous owner did a streetfighter/cafe racer type conversion
I rode it all the way home (at least over an hour ride, in the pouring rain, with no issues whatsoever). However, I noticed the oil light was on, and didn't know how long ago the guy changed the oil, so I changed the oil/filter.

Rained a few days later. Afterwards, the bike would start and run normally until it warmed up (when the temperature needle hit the halfway mark). At this point it would shut off and would not start again until after it had cooled down completely. Essentially the engine would turn over but the bike would not start. Additionally, I noticed whitish smoke coming from the exhaust pipe on the left when trying to start it.

So I changed the oil again, to be on the safe side. I drained the float bowls. I cleaned around the engine/carbs as best as I could. I drained the gas and put in new gas. I haven't tried cleaning the carbs yet, I'm a little hesitant to do that since I don't want to mess anything up.

About a week ago I noticed it was having issues starting at all, even when its cold. Before it used to start up cold with no problem, and would only shut off after it had warmed up. I'm going to go back and check on the bike tomorrow, but was hoping someone could give me some tips or point me in the right direction.

Here's a picture of what I think the problem might be... just lost on how to fix it:

Below is a link to a video i took going around the carb which also might help:
https://streamable.com/shkmd
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo_2017-04-08_15-26-28.jpg (102.5 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg photo_2017-04-08_15-26-28 (2).jpg (111.0 KB, 8 views)
streetfighterninja is offline   Reply With Quote