Old May 27th, 2017, 09:12 AM   #4
Z1R rider
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Roger

Motorcycle(s): 1978 Z1R, 1999 EX250

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdnightfox View Post
I can't say that's too closely related because my oil level is still the same that it's been before I parked it several months ago, I have no trouble starting and it runs fine (now that I took the carbs apart) besides a wacky idle

if it sits for a long time I can visibly see the fuel filter drain of all its fuel, does that mean the fuel is leaking out of the carb in this case?

Semi related, but when I removed the float bowls the main jet screw was unscrewed two turns out, would that have something to do with it? I couldn't find any info on position of main jet screws but from all the photos it looks like they should be screwed in completely so I did that to both before reinstalling

By seeing the fuel drain while it's not running your almost certainly looking at a float needle not sealing in the carb bowl, and that will make the mixture rich, which will screw up the idle, and if your petcock was leaking (apparently it's not) you would have a crankcase full of fuel also. Yes the main jets should be tight.