Old May 30th, 2017, 07:04 AM   #1
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Don't be that guy

Just got back from two days up at Palmer Motorsports Park. In the middle of the night, a rig pulls up and I hear stuff being set up. Morning comes, and it turns out to be a young guy with a pregen and his girlfriend. I've reached the age where all young people look the same to me, so I really don't know how old. Early 20s, I'm guessing.

I give them coffee and we start chatting. Really sweet couple, very nice. It's his first time and he's really excited.

So I start talking about the day, what to expect, how to get the most out of it, encouraging him (and his girlfriend) to go to the classroom sessions, all that stuff. "Think of it like the best road ride you've ever had," etc.

Then I ask him an important question: "You're a young man, and young men are often impetuous. Tell me the truth: Do you like riding for the speed? For the rush? Do you see the red mist from time to time?"

He laughed a bit and said "yeah... I like wheelies...."

So I drop a few words about squids and why the track is not about that. Short anecdotes about people who get out there the first day and bin the bike right off the bat trying to be heroes.

"Don't be that guy," I said. "This is about learning to be a better rider, not going out there and riding as fast or hard as you can. Ride at 70%. That way you'll have a blast and learn a lot more."

So he goes out, does the first follow-the-leader session, comes back and his eyes are as wide as saucers. "That was BADASS!" he says to his girlfriend. Super-enthusiastic. Fun to watch.

Next session, ten minutes in the flatbed pulls up with his bike on it. Seems he rode off the edge of the track. He was okay, thankfully.

Clearly he listened but did not internalize. I hope to see him at the track again, but I have a feeling I won't.

Don't be that guy! Take it easy, and live to ride another day.

PS: Another guy did something I've never seen before... high sided his Ninja 300 AT TECH. Hard to do that.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.